Friday, November 9, 2007

Winding down the Red.

It's Friday already!!! I can't believe we are leaving the Red in two days. There are still pages and pages of climbs in the guidebook that we haven't even touched! We will inevitably, have to come back.

The Internet connection has been a bit sketchy, so I'll try to get you updated this morning before the masses wake up. I think a good amount of people will be sleeping in due to the fact that a crew went to the distillery yesterday and the bourbon was flowing in Miguel's last night. We ate half a pizza with artichokes, avocados, roasted garlic, and mushrooms last night, and then hung out and played some cards and drank some bourbon and Milwaukee's Best with lime.

A couple that I met here 7 years ago, Glen and Heather, are here and we climbed at the same crag (Military wall) as them yesterday. It was chilly and we didn't get too much done, but both sent an 11b at the end of the day, which I had climbed the last time I was here. Glen and Heather were dancing up the hard stuff and humbling us with their bouldering strength. We also had them as well as Jeremy over for our first ever dinner party the night before last. We had purchased pounds of produce at the little Campton roadside produce stand and made up a hearty chicken stew. Jay was trying to replicate Shannon's but we didn't quite hit it for him. It was still great to have five people eating in the Rialta. Kim wasn't feeling up for the party and called it an early night. Glen and Heather have a trailer in Hueco tanks, TX and Glen is very into the solar power thing, so he and Jay chatted a lot about that. We had climbed that day, Wednesday, with Jeremy and Kim at Bob Marley wall, and Glen and Heather joined us there as well. There's an 11a there called Toker that requires us shorties to launch for the first hold. I think I have some video, and will upload it if I can.

Let's see, what else is going on? Rent still hasn't been paid, and what irks me the most about it is that I talked to Dale on Wednesday and he said it was deposited that day. I understand if they are having a hard time, being in jail and all, but don't LIE to me. Luckily the money isn't too big an issue this far into the trip, but I don't want to have to kick them out.

Our plan from here is to take off Sunday after climbing and head to Tulsa by late Monday. Jay's friend Sarah is going to keep the Brutus and the Rialta for us while we are whisked away to Mom's 60th b-day party in Cabo. I am so looking forward to drying out this poison ivy with a good sunburn! :) We'll probably bring climbing shoes and chalk bags in case there is a place we could boulder on the beach and keep our fingers strong. Next we head to South Padre island to meet up with my good friend (sister), Molly and her husband, brother and nephew for Thanksgiving. I'm so glad I'll get to spend the holiday with her. Tom is from Ohio too, so we will make some buckeyes! Then it's off to Potrero Chico, which is mulitpitch sport climbing and hopefully working on our Spanish skills. Some good friends are joining us down there for a week, so that will prove to be as good or better than the Red!

This place has been so hospitable it’s going to be hard to leave, but we have so many good things to look forward to!! Life is SO good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home