Friday, October 19, 2007

DC

We've made it to the nation's capitol for a bit of a reprieve from Ohio and the hospital. Dad is doing well now and I am hoping he'll be home early next week. He recovered a little slower than any of us would have hoped, but is looking good now. The trial never happened, so that is still looming, but we have a lot more information now, so I feel a little better.

We came down to DC last Wednesday and did the walk around the mall. The new WWII memorial is powerful. Also, FDR's memorial is inspirational and beautiful with lots of rock and water. I think it is my new favorite. We walked the mall and then headed toward my friend Carmen's house near Mt Vernon. We stopped for dinner in Alexandria at a very quaint little place called Tiffany's Tavern. Concluded the evening sharing wine and stories out on Carmen's front porch.

Yesterday we went to Arlington and then toured the Capitol building. There's a memorial to women in the armed forces in Arlington now and I really enjoyed it. It's amazing all the different museums and memorials in this city and as far as I know that is one of very few tributes to women specifically.

This place is very inspirational. I want to read books on all kinds of topics, it seems high school history and government haven't stayed with me at all! For instance- the DC licence plates say "taxation without representation" which lead to our conversation about electoral votes and DC. I just looked that up and they have three. I guess it's that they have no representation in congress? That doesn't seem right. Also how many men have walked on the moon? I found the answer at the Air and Space museum as 12, all of which are Americans. DC is a good place to come if and when you question your patriotism. I love it. There's even a solar house competition in the mall right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger suez said...

There had to be good energy in town, since the Dali Lama was there at the same time! and thanks mucho for the Hillary shirt. Love,
Mom

October 24, 2007 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home