Monday, October 1, 2007

One month down, fourteen to go.

I'm back in Canfield again. Last week we climbed Tuesday (at Farley's), Wednesday (with Erica), Thursday, Friday (in the near rain), and Saturday. By Saturday afternoon my forearms were shot. I couldn't even hold on to the super deep Gunks jugs anymore. I need some rest days and we are doing those rest days in style at my parent's house. Mom left us a note with all the food items she had left for us and was worried that I'd be moaning about her force feeding me. Usually I would, but with the amount of exercise we've been getting, yesterday was an all out food consumption day. we drove from New Paltz Saturday night evening to avoid the all day drive on Sunday. Jay got some pumpkin spice coffee and made the whole I-80 drive across PA.

The Gunks were great. They are definitely an outdoor gym and on the weekends they are a bit too crowded for my liking, but just like Yosemite Valley, you can find places where the weekenders don't go. It was nice to be in a deciduous forest watching the glint of the changing of the leaves. The maples were standing out the most, bright red amongst the majority of the still greens. On Friday I took a homeopathic case and although it had been threatening rain all day it waited until wee started climbing CCK to let loose. There was an incredible rainbow that landed in the little lake below us. Fortunately it just sprinkled a bit and the roof above us kept us fairly dry. I was wishing that we could have stayed one more week to really see the leaves change or head up to New England, but Ohio has great trees too. We were very spoiled at the Gunks. Michael and Erica hooked us up on many levels and it's just nice to spend some time with like minded people who understand our vagabond lifestyle. I've known Michael for about 12 years and I look forward to the day he and Erica show up on my front doorstep unemployed and traveling.

I just finished reading "Enduring Patagonia" by Gregory Crouch. Greg is a West Point grad and a friend of Michael's and it was a very interesting and inspiring read. He has the best descriptions I've ever read about why he climbs and what it does for him. I have been thinking on this a lot and will try to put my thoughts and emotions to words for you sometime soon.

Jay and I have been trying to figure out if we have the skills to get anything done in Patagonia and reading his book makes me want to go, but scared to death. I am much less prepared than Jay is and he's hesitant about his ability, which therefore makes me even more nervous. I've come to the conclusion that we should go. If we don't get up anything, we'll still have been there and seen it and know what needs to be done before we go back.

We've had a lot of fun thinking about our future lately, where we'll live and what kind of house (or houses) we'll have. We talk as much about California as Colorado, so I guess for now they are both still in the running. We have had a few arguments and I'm glad that I have had the time and space to see that they are completely spurred by my stress level. I thought I was going to have to testify in court tomorrow, but they called on Friday and said the trial was postponed. This is another reason why we are back in Ohio. I need, for my own sanity, to figure out what is going on with this mess and what I have to look forward to when it actually does go to trial. I could have stayed up in the Gunks for another week, but this way we will go to Seneca Rocks for a few days after I talk to the prosecuting attorney and get things a little clearer in my head. I don't climb very well when I am all wrapped up in unhappy thoughts either.

When we got back yesterday we watched a bunch of my old gymnastics videos. It was fun to see my little body,my big permed hair, and my lack of dance skills. I think Jay enjoyed it. I'll get some pictures up soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home